Friday, October 8, 2010

The Walk

I took my car into the shop the other day, figuring that, since I didn't need it few a few days, I would just arrange to pick it up this morning right after I got paid. So, bright and early this morning, I hiked up to the service center and handed the mechanic my debit card so that I could pay my bill. DECLINED. What? Okay, not a huge deal. Every so often my paycheck is about two hours late processing. Yet, two hours later, after a long walk to my office, when checking my balance online, I saw that there was no direct deposit waiting to be processed. I called my bank. Turns out that they had changed the routing numbers and I had somehow missed the memo. Payroll graciously cut me a check later that afternoon. Thus, after work, with my daughter in tow, we undertook the longest walk we had ever taken together.

We walked from my office to my bank, which is about a half a mile. I had to get to my bank in order to deposit my check so that I could pay for the repairs to my car. We walked along a back street, the afternoon Sun blaring down on us and reflecting back from the blacktop. When we reached the bank, my daughter and I both drank several cups of free water in the bank lobby. I deposited my check, kept a little money back, and we were on our way. This time, we had to walk to the mechanic, a good two miles from where we were. My daughter was a little trooper, but, with blisters erupting on my feet because of the shoes I was wearing, I felt like a Volga boatman. I think I even subconsciously sang a few bars of Эй, ухнем! to myself. We stopped along the way to get a bite to eat and to rest. More importantly, we talked. We talked about the past, the present, hopes, dreams and fears. I might even dare to say that it was the first REAL conversation we ever had.

Too often, there is this barrier between us. I'm the parent. She's the child. It's not unlike the supervisor/employee relationship at times. Yet now, sitting in an empty restaurant sipping on sodas, we were just two people caught up in the midst of a very difficult afternoon. We were on a mission together.

We pressed on. We got the car and drove to the store for some drinks. When we got back into the car, I went to start it, only to find that the battery had died. I groaned in agony at the thought of having to hike up to the auto parts store to get a new one. Screw that. I called Jason for a lift instead, as he was now off work. We'd had enough adventure for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment