Friday, March 13, 2009

The Sony Cybershot DSC-T500

In my continuing effort to keep stimulating the economy, I decided to purchase a new digital camera. I settled on the Sony Cybershot DSC-T500 while picking at the bones of a Circuit City.

This is a good looking camera. The T-500 is ultra compact and features a slide-down lens cover as well as a touch screen interface. It fits easily in your pocket and it lightweight enough that it won't slowly wear a hole in it. Looks aren't everything, though, right?

The T-500 takes amazing photos as well as HD video (1,280 by 720 pixels at 30 frames per second). It seems, however, that when I'm shooting a video without the help of a tripod, the image stabilization tends to drop the occasional frame. The placement of the lens in the upper corner of the camera has taken some getting used to and has resulted in a number of photos that included part of my index finger in them.

I have two major gripes with the T-500. First off, the battery life is terrible. It's rated at 180 shots, but, in my experience, the rating is closer to 100 shots. If you're going to spend the day taking pictures and video, you're going to want to carry an extra battery with you for sure. Second, and this is more a failure of Sony than it is of the camera itself, the T-500 of course employs Sony's proprietary Memory Stick storage solution. I have found that, unless you are using a memory stick specifically made by Sony, the T-500 will not be able to store movies on it. The Sandisk memory stick I originally purchased for the camera would not record movies and I kept getting an error message telling me that there is not enough free space.

Otherwise, as evidenced by the number of movies already on this site, I've been very happy with the camera. It's benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment